"A what?"
"Pleeeeease!"
That little girl, the one who's as sharp as a tack, pleaded with both eyes owl-wide. I had to admit, it was a novel idea. But how on earth would we be able to make the costume.
"Didn't you want to be Batgirl this year?"
"I was Batgirl last year."
"Oh, right. Well, how can you carry the candy sack with no arms?"
I got the look, the one that a child gives an adult at moments like this. "It's just make-believe," she said, stretching the last syllable.
"Right."
"Pleeeeeease!"
"Ai yai yai. I suppose we can give it a try. But you have to help!"
"Thankyouthankyouthankyou." She skipped over to the table and bounced back with a piece of paper on which she had sketched her vision for the costume. "Here's what it's gonna look like. We need lots of black construction paper and 'luminum foil for the metal parts. Oh, and we can cut up a brown paper lunch sack for the reed. I can wear my black knit hat."
"You've thought this through already!" I couldn't help but smile thinking of her shuffling from door to door trumpeting Trick or Treat in a clarinet costume. The high note of the evening!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
She'll go far that girl! Negotiation skills and imagination, how can she fail?
I have high hopes, Anna.
Glad to "see" you!
Technical point: was she able to play in the chalumeau register?
Well, lung power was not lacking. For awhile she yearned for a bass clarinet with the bent bit on the end (instead of the bell).
Hello
What a lovely story!
I like it very much.
She has a great imagination indeed!
I wonder "what are the most popular disguises children want to wear recently?"
This year, the predictions are that many children will want to dress up as Michael Jackson. It does seem that stars and sports heroes are indeed popular choices. However, last year I was pleased to see trick-or-treaters in traditional costumes such as ghosts and pirates. Did Halloween ever become popular in Japan?
<Did Halloween ever become popular in Japan?>
I don't think so. In autumn, so many traditional autumn festivals have always been held around the country...omikoshi, danjiri, and dashi...
Post a Comment