One limp string bean lay on the floor when I came in to check on her. So she had tried to sneak one to the dog, who must have pushed it out of reach. I walked over to pick up the cold thing and then sat down across from her.
She looked up at me with the biggest, saddest eyes. "I can't eat them," she croaked.
"Can't?"
"They're WAX beans ~ ugh!"
I lowered my voice, "those are not wax beans."
I got the look ~ you know the one that a child gives an adult at times like this. "What are they?"
"Waxing beans." I smiled. "Planted at night under a waxing moon and then cut under a full moon. So that makes them special moon beans."
"Are they magic beans?"
"Sort of."
"What happens if I eat them?" she whispered back.
"You'll start waxing lyrical about all sorts of stuff."
She perked up. "You mean I could be a poet?" She looked at the little hill of beans and then gently moved one hand towards them. She picked one up and took a minuscule bite ... then munched on another until her plate was completely bare.
"Well, do they work?" I asked.
She lifted her chin and in a deep voice, said:
Now I can leave the table,She grabbed her book, jumped off the chair, and ran out leaving me laughing with love for my little bean-bard with a poet's soul.
'cause I've eaten every bean,
but food that's cold tastes better,
if it's chocolatey ice cream.

6 comments:
Bohne-Bardin, a bean-bard with a poet's soul! A delightful story once again. You do have a a wonderful way with her.
Keeps my heart young!
A lovely, with lovely pictures in it.
Glad you liked it, Anna. It amazes me how children are able to paint pictures with looks and gestures.
Wonderful.
I can't get Tom to eat those yellow beans either, though they seem to me to be just like the green ones, which he says are better!
I've been told that there are purple ones to be had ... now what would those taste like?!
Post a Comment